When selling to a private party, the original contract holder can transfer the remaining coverage on vehicles, travel trailers and motorhomes. Here are some important things to consider when transferring a contract:
- Refer to your contract for restrictions on the timing to request a transfer. Not all contracts are transferable and others may only be transferred once.
To complete a transfer, you must:
- Submit a completed transfer form, signed by both parties
- Submit the transfer fee (where applicable)
Documents to be exchanged between parties:
- Copy of the original contract
- All service and maintenance records
Transfer fees are based on location of the issuing dealer. The transfer fee must accompany a completed transfer form. Payment can be in the form of a personal check, certified check or money order. Fees are as follows:
- $50 - Advantage (AD), CostGuard (CG), XtraRide (XG 50, 60, 70, 80 series), PRIZM and Portfolio Elite contract
- $75 - Protective® Vehicle Protection Plan
- $75 for XG90+ contracts
- $40 for dealers in the state of Florida
- $0 for dealers in the state of Massachusetts
- For Western General contracts, please contact us for transfer fee information by calling 800-323-5711.
Our forms include:
Download the appropriate cancellation form for your respective auto or RV protection plan. Refer to your contract to see which form you should use. You will need to download and install the free Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.
Submit all forms and necessary documents including applicable transfer fees to Protective, ATTN: Contract Processing P.O. Box 830633, Birmingham, AL 35283-0633
To transfer your FPC Marine or XtraRide PowerSports coverage, call us at 800-909-7636.
Credit Life and Credit Disability are non-transferable. If you have any questions please contact us at 800-445-2992.
Refer to your contract for information about transferring your coverage.